Tuesday 16 April 2013

My First Set of Sunflower Pattern Designs: Examples of Modularity

To achieve 20 of my 120 necessary university credits I partake in the module Design Theory 2. For the second assessment within the module we were asked to design 12 patterns inspired from a mood of our choosing. 
I decided to use sunflowers as my inspiration as they remind me of summer, something I want to be reminded of at the moment, as well as include bright colours and smooth curved shapes. 

My final mood board and colour scheme inspired by sunflowers 
To create the first 6 patterns I divided a square into several unique shapes inspired from my final mood board

Final Square cut up into 6 unique shapes, each coloured using my final colour scheme

Using the shapes, created by dividing up the square, I created 6 unique patterns keeping the following rules in mind. 
  1. You can use as many copies of each shape as desired
  2. All the shapes do not need to be present within every pattern
  3. The shapes can be re-sized if desired
  4. No gaps or overlapping of the shapes must occur
  5. Every pattern must be unique 

This method of pattern creation is called modularity, a concept of dividing the design process into more manageable stages. 

If you are wanting to know more about modularity, and how to design your own modularity pattern, please refer to Professor Hann's Structure and Form in Design book. Buy it on Amazon here

 Below are my final 6 patterns and I have to admit I am more than happy with the outcomes

Pattern 1

Pattern 2

Pattern 3

Pattern 4

Pattern 5

Pattern 6

Before designing I had already decided that each pattern would be used for a decorative Iphone cover and below is what my final product would look like 




So what do you think? 

Zoe xxx






No comments:

Post a Comment