Wednesday 17 April 2013

My Second Set of Sunflower Pattern Designs: Examples of Modularity


Following on from my last post I have now finished the second set of Modularity pattern for my university, Design Theory module. For the following 6 pattern designs I used the same mood board as before. 

Final mood board 
This time however to create my last 6 patterns I divided an equilateral triangle into several unique shapes inspired from my final mood board

Final triangle 
Using the shapes, created by dividing up the equilateral triangle, I created 6 unique patterns keeping the following rules in mind. 
  1. You can use as many copies of each shape as desired
  2. All the shapes do not need to be present within every pattern
  3. The shapes can be re-sized if desired
  4. No gaps or overlapping of the shapes must occur
  5. Every pattern must be unique 

This method of pattern creation is called modularity, a concept of dividing the design process into more manageable stages. 

Again, like mentioned in my last post, if you are wanting to know more about modularity, and how to design your own modularity pattern, please refer to Professor Hann's Structure and Form in Design book. Buy it on Amazon here

 Below are my last 6 patterns and I have to admit I am again more than happy with the outcomes

Pattern 7

Pattern 8

Pattern 9

Pattern 10

Pattern 11

Pattern 12

So there we have it, all 12 of my final modularity patterns completed and shared.

Let me know what you think! and try it out yourself, it is actually quite relaxing once you get the hang of it!!


Zoe xxx

2 comments: